Thursday, April 15, 2010

What is the law in Indiana about a parent receiving information?

Are the parent's of a child entitled, by law, to gain any information they require about their child and the environment their child is in (as long as that information doesn't involve another student, b/c it would break the other childs right for privacy)? I had a questionnaire I asked for the teachers and principal to fill out so I can better understand the structure of their school, the environment my child is in, and how my child responds to different situations in that environment. Is it legal for the principal to just decide for the teachers to not give me that information? I read some of the laws, and it sounded like I was entitled to the information I desire to have.... anyone know this one??? =) Thank you!

What is the law in Indiana about a parent receiving information?
I don't konw about Lousiana, but here in NYC, most teachers would rather that parents not know that they are entitled to see all of the records of their child/children. For whatever reason, it is easier to label a student if the parents do not see it to challenge the label, whether it's true or not. More often than not, Principles and Assistant Principles overstep their boundries and say things that are not entirely truthful but convenient to for their particular agenda.





I suggest that you contact your elected officials and ask; if that doesn't yield satisfactory results, then seek the local chapter of the ACLU and start asking questions. They will not lie to you!
Reply:I agree with the first person who answered, but another resource that comes to mind is public assistance attorneys, they usually do landlord dispute type things, but may welcome another type of work, like helping you with a formal open records request.





It does strike me that they may perceive you as a bothersome parent, and if you work in cooperation with the teachers and school administration, you are likely to get farther and your child afforded better educational opportunity if you work WITH them rather than against them. If you prove to be too much of a pill, they can get a restraining order against you, I have seen it done.


No comments:

Post a Comment